AMAZON REDSHIFT INTERVIEW QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
Here is a list of frequently asked questions about Amazon Redshift. These questions are prepared by experienced trainers. These questions and answers are suitable for both freshers and professionals all alike. These questions are useful for those who are preparing for technical interviews. Apponix Technologies help the students to learn about Amazon Redshift with this learning material so that you don’t have to search for other materials. The job opportunities in the Amazon Web services are increasing day by day. And it is good for the aspirants to prepare for a job in the Network industry. These questions and answers are easy to understand. And one may not find any difficulty in grasping it. We hope these questions and answers will be helpful for you to acquire your dream job.
- What is Amazon Redshift?
Answer:- Amazon Redshift is a fully managed, petabyte-scale data warehouse service in the cloud. It is also known as AWS Amazon Redshift.
- What are the benefits of using AWS Redshift?
- Automated backup
- Built-in security
- We can use PostgreSQL, ODBC, JDBC.
- We can run multiple queries on multiple nodes.
- When can we choose Amazon Redshift?
Answer:- When the application requires more volumes from the users, we can use Redshift. We can speed up the process of Amazon Redshift query requests and cut down the Infra cost.
- What are the common features of Redshift?
Answer:- It is a fully managed, petabyte-scale data warehouse service in the AWS. We can create a bunch of data once the data warehouse is created i.e., AWS Redshift Cluster. Now we can upload a set of data and perform the query for data analysis.
- What is the use of Redshift?
Answer:- Scalability up/down and pay for what we use.
- Which Database does the AWS Redshift use?
- What is Amazon Redshift built for?
Answer:- Amazon Redshift is a data warehouse service built on the technology of Massive Parallel Processing.
- Does AWS Redshift use SQL?
Answer:- Yes, PostgreSQL- Amazon Redshift Postgres.
- Is AWS Redshift a stored procedure?
Answer:- No, it supports tables, functions, and views.
- Is Amazon Redshift based on the concept cluster?
Answer:- Amazon Redshift uses nodes and groups of nodes called clusters. A single cluster runs Amazon Redshift and it has one or multiple numbers of databases.
- What is the use of Amazon Redshift ODBC driver?
Answer:- It allows us to connect with real-time data of the Amazon Redshift from any applications which are supported by ODBC.
- Why AWS Redshift is named after Redshift?
Answer:- It is given the name of Redshift for Oracle trademark Red.
- What is the use of the AWS Redshift driver?
Answer:- It gives you ODBC drivers for Linux, Windows OS.
- What is the use of the AWS Redshift cluster service?
Answer:- It runs AWS Redshift and it has databases.
- How does the AWS Redshift work?
Answer:- Amazon Redshift set up, operate and scale, manage backups, updates, and monitors the nodes.
- What is the difference between S3 and Redshift?
Answer:- Amazon S3 is Object-based storage. Amazon Redshift is a fast, fully managed, petabyte-scale data warehouse.
- What is Cluster AWS Cloud?
Answer:- Cluster is the grouping of similar services. One can create multiple clusters depending on the requirement of the services.
- Does Redshift use unstructured data?
Answer:- No, Amazon Redshift uses PostgreSQL which supports only structured data.
- Why Redshift distribution key is used?
Answer:- It is used to check where the data is located in Amazon Redshift.
- What is MPP in Redshift?
Answer:- MPP means Massive Protection Policy.
- What kind of application/service uses the Redshift Database?
Answer:- Amazon Redshift is meant for services that are petabyte-scale data warehousing. Example:- Big data analytics and OLAP. Redshift is fully managed and scalable in nature.
- What are the business intelligence tools to which Redshift can be integrated with?
Answer:- Amazon Redshift can be integrated with Tableau, MicroStrategy, Jaspersoft, and Amazon QuickSight.
- How can we monitor the performance of the Amazon Redshift warehouse cluster?
Answer:- Using AWS management console or using CloudWatch, performance metrics like compute and storage utilization, read/write traffic can be monitored.
- Can we access the compute node of Redshift directly?
Answer:- Redshift compute node lives in a private space and it can only be accessed from the data warehouse cluster leader node.
- Which data formats does Amazon Redshift support?
Answer:- It supports JSON, RCFile, ORC, CSV, Parquet, Tex, Avro, and Grok.
- How will I be charged and billed if I use Amazon Redshift?
Answer:- You pay only for what you use. There are no minimum fees or set up fees. Billing for a data warehouse begins as soon as the data warehouse cluster is available. It continues toll the termination of the data warehouse cluster which would occur upon deletion or in the event of Instance failure. You may be charged based on data scanned, data transfer, backup storage, and compute node hours.
- What is Amazon Redshift used for?
Answer:- Amazon Redshift is used for business intelligence, analytics, and data warehouse.
- What are the important features of Amazon Redshift?
- Redshift is highly available and has an auto-healing feature.
- Redshift provides 10x better performance when compared to other warehouse services.
- It provides pay per node provisioned, 1/10th of the cost when compared to other data warehouse services.
- What is the Redshift spectrum?
Answer:- You don’t need to load the data first to Redshift if you have an Amazon Redshift spectrum. You can directly perform the queries against S3.
- What is Amazon Redshift enhanced VPC Routing?
Answer:- If you enable this feature, all the copies of data from whatever storage you want from Redshift, or unload from Redshift back to S3. It goes through VPC which gives more security and better performance.
- How many types of nodes are supported by Redshift?
Answer:- Leader node and compute node.
- What is the function of the leader node?
Answer:- Leader node is used in planning the queries and aggregate results of compute nodes.
- What is the function of the compute node?
Answer:- Compute node performs the queries and sends the results back to the leader node.
- How can we scale the Redshift Database?
Answer:- It can go up from one to 128 nodes and each node contains cores. Each node has 160 gigabytes of space.
- How do we load data in Redshift?
Answer:- Data is loaded from S3, DynamoDB, DMS, and Read Replicas in RDS.
- Is Redshift row-based or column-based storage?
Answer:- Redshift is column-based.