What are the Essential food Items during Navratri
Many people fast during Navratris. There is a list of food items that can be consumed , if you are fasting.
It’s a safe list to follow when in doubt.
DO’s – Foods to be consumed during Navratri –
- Grains & Flours – Kuttu ka Atta (Buckwheat Flour), Singhade ka Atta (Water Chestnut flour), Rajgira/Chaulai ka Atta (Amaranth flour), Sama ke Chawal (Barnyard Millet), Sama ka Atta (Barnyard Millet flour) and sabudana (Tapioca Pearls). Phool Makhana (Fox nuts) are commonly used too.
- Nuts – All kind of nuts can be consumed during Fasting. It includes Baadam (Almonds), Kaaju (Cashews), Mungfali (Peanuts), Akhrot (Walnuts), Magaj ke Beej (Melon seeds), Chilgoza (Pine Nuts), Kishmish (Raisins), Pista (Pistachio).
- Oils – Ghee, Vegetable Oil & Peanut Oil are commonly used oils.
- Spices – Sendha Namak (Rock salt), Jeera (Cumin seeds), Jeera Powder (Cumin seeds powder), Kali Mirch powder (Black pepper powder), Elaichi Chhoti (Green Cardamom) are the only used spices in my household and community.
- Fresh Herbs & Fresh Seasoning Agents – Ginger root, Green Chillies, Coriander Leaves (Cilantro), Lemon juice are commonly used.
- Fruits – Fruits of all kinds are allowed to be eaten. Apples, Grapes, Bananas, Papaya, Pears, Peaches, Berries, etc, any seasonal fruit can be consumed.
- Milk & Dairy Products – Milk, Yogurt, Paneer (Cottage cheese), Fresh Cream, Butter, Malai, Khoya/ Mawa are commonly consumed milk items during fasting season.
- Sugars – Raw sugar, Jaggery, Honey, regular sugar are consumed commonly.
- Vegetables – Only a limited variety of vegetables are allowed during Navratris. Aloo (Potato), Arbi (colacasia), Yam (Jimikand), Kacha Kela (Raw Banana), Kacha Papeeta (Raw Papaya), Lauki (Bottle Gourd), Kaddu/Kashifal (Pumpkin) are most commonly consumed vegetables.
- Miscellaneous – Coconut powder or grated coconut and coconut milk.